Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Advent Tree

I was gone last week, or I would have re-posted this post from November 2010. I'm posting it again for those who may not have seen it, and who would like a good Advent devotional to use with young families.


This is Advent, the time when we remember the prophecy and fulfillment of the coming of our Savior. Once again, I'll be getting out the Advent wreath and candles for the season. When our children were younger, I made a large felt tree on a white felt background which we hung from the wall, like a banner.


First, I cut out many felt circles, then used scraps of various colors of felt and other odds and ends to make the symbols, which I glued onto the felt circles. Of course, the felt circles adhere nicely to the felt tree. After Christmas, I store the symbols in a large Ziploc bag, to be used the following year.



This is the tree I made for our son's family. For the background, I used a shiny gold, flannel-backed table cloth, which I thought the little kids would especially enjoy. You know, shiny and gold, kid appealing.



And this is the book that shows how to make the Advent tree and symbols, with Scripture selections and suggested carols for two Advent seasons. It's a great book to use with young families, especially.

Besides the Advent wreath and candles which we would light on the four Sundays before Christmas, we also had a single large candle that we would light on weeknights. Each night of Advent, our children would take turns being the one who got to put the symbol on the tree AND got to blow out the candle at the end of our devotions, carols, and prayer time. Believe me, they kept track to make sure they got their turn!

This was a wonderful tradition for many years, and helped us teach our children what Christmas is really all about.

For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. - John 3:17

Have a blessed Lord's Day.
Celebrating the Second Sunday of Advent,


Judy

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the traditions that people have around the holidays. It's nice to see that some people keep with them no matter what. I'm excited that my parents will be spending Thanksgiving with us this year. It's the first time in 11 years since I've spent Thanksgiving with them! Thanks for sharing, Judy!

Caution/Lisa said...

Every year I promise myself that I will do something like your tree, but I never do :(

We are headed to Kentucky on Wednesday. Maybe I'll use the drive to do some thinking/planning.

Rachel said...

I love that!! I need to see if I can find a copy of that book!

:)
Rach

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I love that tree!!! It's adorable. What a great idea.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka, Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, the trees are beautiful! Jeremy always loved his Advent calendars and the wreath. Family traditions are so wonderful ... how wonderful that you can continue this with a brand new generation ... :) (Yes, for the moment, I'm back among the living!!! Still more work to do both on the internet at work and the laptop at home, but I'm checking in while I can!)

Unknown said...

How awesome and a great tradition!

Davene said...

Hi, Judy!

I saw your comment on Aliesha's post at Feathers in Our Nest, so I clicked over. It's been fun to take a peek inside your world! The soup you posted a few posts down looks delicious, and I'm actually envious of the snow you already have! :)

The statistic you quoted in your comment at Feathers... was startling. But now that I think about, I guess it's not too surprising that so many families are forsaking reading. Sad. What is the world coming to?

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Tiffanee said...

That is so cool. I have been wanting to make one of those. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

partialemptynester said...

I love it, I love it, I love it! Ohhh, the memories...

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Gorgeous wreath, reminds me of something my mom would have created. That's a huge compliment by the way!

Thanks for coming by!

Tiffanee said...

Love it!! I so need to make one for my family. What a perfect tradition!

J_on_tour said...

Wow, what a great idea ... visual & meaningful. Sometimes it looks like advent just concentrates on the arrival of the Saviour & not his completed work.
On a side note, this is inspired warfare on how far advent has become blurred and consequently deceptive in other circles.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails