Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Angie's Favorite Toffee Bars

Toffee Bars, still in jellyroll pan

I actually made a quadruple batch of these toffee bars, for almost everyone loves them!  This is one of my favorite bars to serve at Christmas time. I cut them into diamond shapes by first cutting them into large squares, then each square is cut diagonally, forming the diamond shape. These are a melt-in-your-mouth shortbread type of bar with dark chocolate and chopped walnuts. YUM.

I was going to get a photo of these bars on a plate, but they are in the deep freeze right now (see pic below) in a container under about a foot of snow in the sub-zero temperatures outdoors. It's -20 degrees F. right now (-28.8 Celsius) and I'm not venturing out there for a photo.

Toffee Bars under one of those piles of snow on the picnic table

Recipe for Toffee Bars:

Double batch makes one jellyroll pan
Spray jellyroll pan with non-stick cooking spray

Mix the following ingredients until well blended.

1 c. softened butter
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt

Pat evenly into jellyroll pan.

Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Immediately, sprinkle 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips over the top and return to the oven for a minute or two until the chocolate chips are melted enough to spread easily over the entire surface. Immediately, sprinkle with a c. chopped walnuts.

Cut immediately. Once they set up, you may have to break, rather than cut these bars. So do it now.
Chill for a few minutes to set the chocolate.

I make two jellyroll pans, for these go fast.  Enjoy!  :-)
 

This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
and Tasty Tuesdays
and Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods
and Tuesdays at the table

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum is right! I love toffee bars, but have never actually made them myself...now I have a recipe I will be definitely trying out! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

YUMMY! I need to make goodies for the end of the week, and this just might fit the bill!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Toffee is one of my favorite CHRISTmas goodies! :) I haven't made any yet though!

Have a great day!!
Sherry

Under Her Wings said...

The toffee bars look delicious, the snow looks beautiful, and our 30 something degrees feels right warm now that you mention it! Okay, so I'll try not to complain to much about our cold. But you have to remember that my blood is much thinner than yours. 85 degrees is a very very cool summer day for us.

Blessings and joy,
Gloria

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Those look amazing...Stay inside!!!!! It's crazy out there.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Tiffanee said...

This is my FAVORITE Christmas candy! I could eat the whole batch by myself. Thanks for sharing a great recipe. I am going to be making it soon!!!

Yenta Mary said...

Shortbread is just about my favorite thing on Earth; top it with chocolate and walnuts, and you're pretty close to Heaven ... :)

Michelle said...

Yum! Is there anything you can't make?

Melinda said...

Yum! I can see why you made a quadruple batch - and why you needed to bury these under a foot of snow! If they weren't hidden - they would be gone!

Judy S. said...

Those look so tasty that I copied the recipe. How'd you get your cats to cuddle like that? Our hiss at each other!

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Oh wow, these look so good!! Tomorrow is baking extravaganza 2010 at our house. I may have to add this recipe to the lsit!

Bethany Nash said...

Diamond shape, huh? I don't know, Judy... those look a lot like triangles to me... ;) ;)

Lisa said...

YUM! These look amazing! Very fun idea to cut them in triangles too!

Miranda | Mangoes and Chutney said...

This seems easy enough. Thanks for sharing with Fat Camp Fridays, hope to see you back next week with another great recipe! http://mangoesandchutney.com

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

These sound great, toffee cookies can't be beat. Delicious but easier than candy. Thanks.

Lisa said...

I can see why you'd need a quadruple batch of these. I bet they go fast.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails