Saturday, June 18, 2011

Starlight, Moonlight

 My parents, wedding day
June 18, 1939
Married  66 years 

 Kevin's parents, wedding day 
August 5, 1945
Married 56 years

The poem and inspiration for this post came from my brother's website, SoundLiving.

What a heritage of long and faithful marriage our parents gave us. Both marriages ended only in the death of a spouse. Both sets of parents loved God and gave their children a godly example to follow.

I thought the following poem was exceptional, reminding us how God uses marriage to refine us.


Love is moonlight,
And marriage is daylight,
And none of us stands the exposure too well;
And most of us long to go back to the moonlight –
Dear nights of moonlight that cast such a spell.

Love is starlight
And marriage is sunlight,
Hurting our eyes with the glare and the heat;
And most of us long to go back to the starlight –
Dear silver starlight when love is so sweet.

Love is dreaming,
But marriage is living,
And tolerance teaches a way to be blind;
And daylight and sunlight seem moonlight and starlight –
After the years teach us how to be kind.






Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

11 comments:

Parsley said...

Love this. My hubs and I are working on 22 years together. We take our vows seriously as it's between us and God.

Robin said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Great looking parents. I know you are very proud of them, as you should be. We have been married for 35 years.

The Let's Talk! Mom said...

What a beautiful blog, what beautiful pictures of your parents.

Mama Hen sent me your link!!

Will be visiting often, just love it!

Bianca
www.TheLetsTalkMom.com

Deborah said...

I love this post my friend...beautiful photos and memories. :)

Under Her Wings said...

Oh, Judy, how precious, and what a wonderful reminder that marriage is a covenant, not to be taken lightly. After 43 years of marriage myself, I can attest to the truth of the poem, yet I love my husband so much more than when I first married with that romantic thought that things would be perfect. The trials and the reality serve only to increase our devotion to one another--IF we are able and willing to stay the course. Thank you for the wonderful post.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that is so, so beautiful! A marriage, a relationship, requires tending and tenderness ... it's hard to do, and both parties have to want it ....

Becky said...

Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures and poem Judy!! I love wonderful examples of marriage, its nice to have somehign to aspire to and see that all that hard work is worth it!!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Sweet post! Love the pictures.

Anonymous said...

This is such a delight to see.

Candace said...

What a beautiful post, Judy! It brought tears to my eyes this morning. I so enjoyed the poem and seeing the photos and the photo of the beautiful rings. Absolutely the perfect touch! Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

LOVE this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails