Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bill's Barn on a Winter Afternoon

Neighbor Bill's Barn
Late Afternoon in February

You may be getting tired of seeing this barn in the various months of the year, but I never tire of looking at it. I especially love it in the late afternoon light of winter, when the near-setting sun casts a golden hue upon it.

You can see that we haven't had a lot of snow this winter (for which I'm SO thankful), and the temps haven't been too objectionable. Even after sundown this evening, it must have been in the 30s when I took the dogs outdoors. That's pretty amazing for NW Wisconsin in February.

I know that March is typically our snowiest month, but at least it won't stick around long if it does snow after the middle of March.

Speaking of March, I have got to order my Carmen Pepper seeds so I can get them started indoors, the beginning of March. (Note to self)

At the top center of the photo is where Othello was read, at the top of the bank beside the road - parts read by a homeschooled kid and her mom. And that reminded me of Generals Grant and Longstreet.


From: The Story of the Mexican War by Robert Selph Henry

'Forces at Corpus Christi numbered, by the middle of october, 1845, nearly 4,000 men, half of all the Army of the United States... The routine of daily drills was relieved, after the army was assembled, by almost daily horse races, by the exhibitions of an American circus which somehow managed to set up in business, and by the performance of a 'very clever company' of actors appearing in the army theater which opened its doors on January 8, 1846, under the general managership of courtly Captain John Bankhead Magruder - whose next duty in Texas was to be that of the major general commanding at Galveston for the Confederate States. Scenery for the theater, which seated 800, was painted by army men, and some of the plays were put on by army talent. One of the amateurs was Lieutenant U.S. Grant of the Fourth infantry, who according to the later recollections of Lieutenant James Longstreet managed to achieve so little feminine appeal in the part of Desdemona that the lieutenant playing opposite him balked at going on as Othello.'

I should have asked my son-in-law John, 'Which President of the United States played the part of Desdemona in Othello?'  He is amazing at Presidential trivia, but I bet I could have stumped him on this one. :-)

***
 


...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapnSuch

and at

our ETSY store


This post is linked to BARN CHARM and PHOTO FRIDAY 

 
Photobucket

22 comments:

Unknown said...

I love shots of that old barn! Keep them coming! It reminds me so much of where I grew up!

Pat said...

The sunlight on the barn is beautiful. Love the view!

Amy Burzese said...

I never tire of barns and I also photo the barns in different seasons/light, etc. Especially my mother's barn since I just have to step onto my porch! Keep them coming!

Unknown said...

WOW! that photo is unbelievable! I would never tire of it either.

Yenta Mary said...

The first thing I noticed was the utter lack of snow. I'm not complaining, though! Warmish temperatures and no ice storms??? Happy here in Michigan!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, I really like that old barn - I love images of the country side. It's funny that you mention Corpus Christi, my youngest sister Jennie lives there with her husband and 4 children.
Have a great day!

Big hugs
Eva

Lois Christensen said...

I love the photos of the old barn! Looks really nice. We have snow here today and I'm with you, happy that it's been a somewhat easy winter. I'm not complaining of the lack of snow! Hope you're having a nice day!

SImple and Serene Living said...

Who could tire of looking at that gorgeous barn. I am with you. This mild winter has been wonderful. No extended cold spells here.

Rachel said...

I don't think we will see snow this year (although a few years ago we had snow in April- we had a white Easter). I won't even tell you what the temperature was here yesterday. It's colder today, gotta love the constant change in weather. I keep taking my Airborne and vitamins so I don't get sick.

Have a great one!

:)

Midwest to Midlands said...

What a great view of that barn and the light was just right.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

I agree with everyone else, keep the barn photo's coming! You really need to take that picture and blow it up and frame it. What a beautiful photo!

Unknown said...

I'm so thankful for this mild winter. It got up to 50 this afternoon near Chicago. It's probably not so good for the farms but it's been wonderful for me. Keep your photos coming, I love them all!

Denise said...

So lovely.

George The Lad said...

Lovely photo I can see why you like to take photos of it, we had snow to :)
Have a good Week
See Yea George xxx

Under Her Wings said...

Old barns are one of my favorite things. What is it about them? I saw you got Longstreet in there, too! Not necessarily a confederate sympathiser, but I do like Longstreet. Thanks for the picture--and the interesting story.

J_on_tour said...

It's a great scene, the low sun always gives great colour to a photo. I can't remember the last time I saw this kind of thing on a snow landscape. Nice one.
On a side note, I didn't expect anybody except me would comment on your nice new watermark ... haha !

Joyce said...

That is a beautiful picture-it almost looks like a painting!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

great shot. so glad you keep linking up ... fun finds. can't wait to see what you come up with next. enjoy your day. ( :

Sally in WA said...

I love the golden glow on this barn. Nice capture!

Rose said...

I would never, ever tire of seeing this barn. There are one or two barns that I photograph every time I get the chance...this would definitely fit that category.

Kathy said...

I'm sure if I lived in your area Bill's barn would be one of my favorites too!

Anonymous said...

The barn is beautiful, so there's no chance of us getting tired of seeing it! I love that evening glow, too!
I love the swath of information I find on my blogger friend's blogs... very interesting info!

Thank you for joining in 2012 & hope you'll return for a Happy New Year in 2013! =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails