Monday, February 13, 2012

Children's Knitted Sweaters

Henry's Sweater
Vanna's Choice 'Barley'

These two little hooded sweaters, size 2, were knitted before Christmas to give to the two youngest grandsons. I had intended to knit Glenn's sweater for his April birthday, but when I found that I had a couple weeks to work on it before Christmas, I decided to give myself the challenge of getting his sweater ready too! As it turned out, I was finishing it and putting the buttons on while the family was here for Christmas!


Glenn's Sweater
Vanna's Choice 'Oatmeal'

I used size 8 Addi Turbo circular needles and Vanna's Choice yarn. I love the look of the Oatmeal and Barley yarns. They look so natural and so preppy! And, I was able to find buttons that went perfectly with the two sweaters and still didn't cost an arm and a leg (as buttons are wont to do).

Admittedly, the sweaters are a bit big on the boys now, but I figure it would be way worse if they were too small. So, they'll grow into them.

The pattern I used is from Cottage Creations, 'Lillie's Little Sweater.' I had to add my own notes to it as I was knitting, for even the simplest of patterns has to be translated in my own wee brain after I've worked out the sticky bits.

Poor Henry - Most of the problems were worked out on his sweater. Still, I'll tell him that it carries the 'family heirloom -  first sweater that Grandma ever knit' title, (so we'll pretend that's worth something. :-)

And then in January, I knitted this little sweater, same pattern, with Wool-Ease Dark Rose Heather for a darling little baby girl named Priska. Isn't that the cutest name!


I love the little flower-shaped buttons!

If you look closely, you can see where I totally messed up on the cuff. But I was working with five needles at the time and felt like I was fighting a porcupine! It was horrid! I figured that Priska could use this as her work sweater, wearing it when she goes out to feed the chickens, perhaps. Oh wait. She is only a month old. That might not work.



Photobucket
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch.com

This post is linked to some or all of the following: Mop it Up Mondays and Skip to My Lou and Bedazzle Me Monday and  What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday and  Made from Scratch Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and Overflowing With Creativity and What's Cookin' Wednesday and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and  Home and Family Friday


Photobucket

19 comments:

Unknown said...

They are both adorable! Makes me wish I knew how to knit!

Paulette said...

I like the choice of yarns that you used to make the sweaters. The texture and color choice is very nice. Lucky grandchildren, I wish I knew how to knit.

Lois Christensen said...

What a GREAT job you did! Both the sweaters are so adorable. My sister in law knows how to knit and has made some adorable sweaters as well. I love the cranberry color sweater. Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Judy! Love the yarns!

They all will be very toasty wearing them! And yea for grandma sweaters!!

Happy Valentine's Day-one day early!

Unknown said...

You are so talented! The knitting needles and I never got along well. I prefer the crochet hook and my own pattern creations. I'm terrible at following directions. Such a rebel am I! Beautiful sweaters!

Empty Nester said...

ARGH! I want to learn to do that! Those are fantastic!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

My you have been busy! Great job! Before you know it you will be ready to make the "big" grandchildren sweaters! ;)

Unknown said...

Do you talents never end? I so wish I had kept up with my knitting, but it was just so much harder than crocheting. Unfortunately, I haven't done that in years as well. The little flub in the sleeve looks like a tiny flower that should be there. Or a heart to designate all the love put into making the garment. Yes, let's go with that! Don't be so hard on yourself your work is beautiful and puts my little applique Valentine's t-shirts to shame.

Midwest to Midlands said...

Very nice and made with love for sure.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Wow! You just blew me off my chair! They're beautiful, Judy!

Denise said...

Very lovely.

Michelle said...

I love those, after your knitting posts I always look around online books about knitting, drag out my old knitting supplies from when I once tried to learn and then get overwhelmed...

Unknown said...

Hi Judy, I love your sweaters! They're beautiful! I just received my lovely order of soap from you. So pretty and smells so wonderful.

Jami said...

Beautiful work! Would love for you to stop by and link up to the Tuesday To Do Party if you haven't already!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2012/02/tuesday-to-do-part-49-and-48-list.html

Lindsi B said...

Oh I love this! It would be great if you would share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/fun-stuff-fridays-11.html

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Judy, these are precious. A friend knitted a sweater for my son when he was little...he's now way too big for it (by 6 years or so), and it hangs in our entry hall...a wonderful keepsake. Thanks so much for linking this up with Mop It Up Mondays at i should be mopping the floor last week. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
{HUGS},
kristi

Judy S. said...

They look great to me! Nice colors too. I am all for using washable yarns for kids, especially since I've seen my GK eat spaghetti in their handknit stuff! Great to get caught up with you. Hugs.

Sue said...

Lovely sweaters, I really like Vannas yarn too, they look really nice...

Carola Bartz said...

These are cute sweaters, Judy! I love oatmeal and barley colors as well, but also what you chose for the little girl. So adorable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails