Friday, February 24, 2012

Last Chance Dairy

Last Chance Dairy

We visited this farm a couple years ago, and I'm going to post a few pics from that time. But the other day, as I was driving to Rice Lake, the red of the barn, the blue of the sky, and the white of the show stuck me as such a beautiful sight! I had to stop and take this photo. (If I were to zoom out a bit, you'd see more snow, but the snow really isn't the point of this photo.)

The people who own and operate this farm, one of the not-so-many remaining small dairy farms in Wisconsin, are a very lovely and accommodating couple, even encouraging us to stop in at milking time, so we could see the 'girls' in action. I remember from my childhood on a dairy farm that people did not like anyone traipsing into their barns at milking time. It might upset the cows and that would interrupt the cows' milking progress. So I know it was a very kind gesture that they invited us to come at milking time.

 Thirsty and resourceful kitty


 Annie meeting a heifer
Yes, always a good idea to keep your palm flat.


 Lovely Orchid


 'Work, work, work...will it never cease!'
-from 'A Murder is Announced'


 The tranquil pasture
A place to relax, take a walkabout, and make more milk

I so appreciated the willingness of these dear people to have us on their farm, seeing first hand their love and care for their animals and their land - and the joy they have in owning a small dairy farm in Wisconsin. They're a vanishing breed.


Photobucket
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Photobucket

24 comments:

Marti said...

A patriotic scene, and a tribute to those farmers who are the backbone of our country.

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

The farm does indeed look like a tranquil place to live or visit. My dream is to have a small farm or at least some acreage in the country to get back to some of the simple ways of life that I experienced as a child. I admire people like your friends who live that kind of life. Thanks for showing the beautiful barn and scenery.--------- Shannon

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, this farm looks very inviting. I love the country side and wouldn't mind moving back again. Not really a city gal. Have a lovely day!

Eva

Autumn said...

I'm glad you captured these photos so it won't be forgotten. I still remember my first trip to a dairy farm by photos.

Wholesale Printer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paulette said...

The small farmer is an American hero, in my opinion. What kind people to let you share in their farm experience. Your photos are lovely. Enjoyed this post very much.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Great pictures!

Judy S. said...

Your dairy farm photos brought back lots of memories of visiting my grandpa's farm and watching the milking. That was in Appleton long ago; the farm was sold to a quarry company. Cute photo of Henry; my how he's grown! (Did you know that Henry is Max's middle name?)

Denise said...

Enjoyed this post.

Candace said...

The first photo is gorgeous, Judy! I love how colorful it is. There was a small dairy farm in the town that I grew up in and I loved visited there as a child. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Have a wonderful weekend, Candace

Under Her Wings said...

I see you got a kitty in the photos! Ah-ah-choo! Fun pictures!

Under Her Wings said...

I see you got a kitty in the photos! Ah-ah-choo! Fun pictures!

Ruth Kelly said...

I've never been on a dairy farm but I've been to several ranches. Both my cats are keeping an eye on me today; one is under the window and the other is under the piano stool next to me - both sleeping.

Lois Christensen said...

What beautiful pictures. That one cow has such pretty eyes! Looks like a nice visit! Enjoy!

laurie said...

This reminds me of a local farmer here who invites the 4th grade class (150 students} to their farm every year. Not only do they get to see a dairy farm, but also get a hay ride. For most of the kids, this is their first time to see a farm!

ruthie said...

Your photo is so patriotic. I love red barns and it's refreshing to see some "Americana" at work. That is the REAL America.

Mama Hen said...

Oh I love this post! We love visiting farms and this is such a great opportunity to visit during milking time. i love the first picture! I hope you are doing well my friend. Have a fantastic week!

Mama Hen

Katie said...

I LOVE this post. I wish more Americans would pause to recognize what American family farmers do daily to feed not only us but a HUGE growing population across the globe. Your photos and story moved me and I love it. Thank you again.

Unknown said...

LOVE this post too! Americana is alive and well, and that makes me smile inside and out. Thanks for sharing! I even miss the snow!

momto8 said...

we live in farm county here..and see first hand the hard work of farming!!
The colors of that barn picture are amazing!! brilliant color!

Unknown said...

Dairy farmers, although pretty predominate here, are a vanishing breed too. It's sad to see, for sure. Love the shot of the red barn - that's a comforting sight to me having grown up in Nebraska!

Carla from The River said...

Great Post Judy!
My Dad is a small dairy farmer. He milks 55 cows. He still names all of his cows and cares deeply for them.

America continues to change, in farming too. I am thankful that the cheese factories recognize the little guys. My Dad has the 2nd best milk on the Milk Haulers route. The first goes to a small dairy heard of Guernseys. :-) Cell count and butter fat make up the score.

J_on_tour said...

It looks like torture but then again that's Agatha Christie for you. I love that Barn colour and the contrast particularly of the winter scene depicted here.

Unknown said...

My dad is a small time potato farmer. I am far from the farm now but it does my heart good to see photos like this that remind me so much of my childhood. What a great post. Thanks for taking the time to remind us all of the little guys out there. And thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails