Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rosemary Lemon Chicken Recipe

Tuppence, the Herb Inspector

I was looking into the archives and found this post that I thought I'd re-share with you today. After all, Tuppence needs to get her fair share of air time.

The photo above shows Tuppence, checking the herbs for me. (It's her day job. Her night job is helping Lionel keep us awake.) I'll use some of the plants for cooking and some of them will become ingredients in my handcrafted soaps. The plants in the photo are aloe, parsley, lavender, and rosemary. All live on a bench placed against the south-facing windows of our bedroom.

One morning I decided that I'd make rosemary-lemon chicken for supper, so I ran upstairs to snip a sprig of rosemary. Then I cut a lemon in half and placed both halves of the lemon into the chicken, along with a clove of garlic. After pouring a little white wine over the chicken and sprinkling it with a bit of salt and quite a bit of pepper, I put the lid on the Crockpot and turned it on to Low.

I was a little surprised when I served the chicken that evening, that it tasted a little 'off.' After all, I loved rosemary-lemon chicken, and the last time I'd made it, it was delicious! This chicken certainly smelled good; it just didn't taste right. It wasn't until later that evening when I walked past those plants to climb into bed, that I realized I had snipped a sprig of the wrong plant. You'll have to admit that rosemary and lavender look a lot alike! But trust me - rosemary goes much better with lemon in a chicken recipe.

Tuppence on Break

I suspect that the only way to avoid cooking disasters altogether is to stay away from the kitchen! But that wouldn't be fun, would it.

As you can see from the post, the recipe is actually contained within. I mean, how hard is cutting a lemon and a sprig of rosemary, pouring a little white wine on a chicken in a Crockpot and turning it to Low? Evidently, harder for some of us than for others. It might be a good idea to label that rosemary plant.

What's your cooking or baking disaster?



Photobucket
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch.com

 This post is linked to some or all of the following: Amaze Me Monday and Skip to My Lou and Bedazzle Me Monday and  What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday and  Made from Scratch Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and Overflowing With Creativity and What's Cookin' Wednesday and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Link it Up Thursday and Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and  Home and Family Friday
Photobucket

15 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL.. Ugh.. I hate what that happens! Ok, I don't have my own plants, but I've pick up the wrong herb at the store before! Oh well, at least it gives us a funny story to tell!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, nice photos of the cat ^_^
Wish that I had a "kitchen garden" with herbs and such.
Have a great day!

Eva

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Rosemary and lavendar do look a lot a like! I can see how that would happen.

I think my funniest baking disaster was Apple Dumplings. I was putting them in the oven thinking these are not going to turn out. They look terrible, how is pouring sugar water on them going to help. I should just stick with apple pie. Of course, they turned out marvelous! One of our favorites! Never give up on a recipe until it is finished! Lol!

Yenta Mary said...

It's not a disaster, though it could have been. But my most recent less-than-stellar moment in the kitchen came when I was trying to cook chicken in the crockpot ... I see a pattern! I turned it on; I checked on it an hour later ... no heat. Oh, don't tell me it's broken! Nope. You have to plug it in if you want to get heat. So I plugged it in ... in theory. I checked a little bit later, not wanting to risk wasting another hour, only to find I'd plugged in the espresso machine! So on the THIRD TRY, I managed to get the crockpot going ... oy!

Lois Christensen said...

That's so funny! My most recent disaster has to be following the advice of peeling potatoes from Dawn of Gilligan's Island fame. Horrible! Enjoy your Wednesday!

Carla from The River said...

I was teaching Sam how to make smoothies. We had our yogurt, peaches and milk....and a plastic spoon. I failed to tell Sam not to put the spoon in when the blender is going.

Ruth Kelly said...

Tuppence looks very content. I am glad that I am not the only one who makes cooking mistakes. It seems we all do.

Keep cooking.

ruth

Rachel said...

Most of my cooking turns into disasters!! ;) hehehe...

One time my dad meant to sprinkle butter salt on our popcorn but grabbed the garlic by mistake. It made for an interesting movie snack!!

:)

Empty Nester said...

Oops! I make mistakes in the kitchen all the time. Hubs eats it anyway. LOL DoodleBug and roomies have adopted a kitty and she enjoyed the pictures of Tuppence! Such a sweet kitty!

Denise said...

lol

Candace said...

What a fantastic photo, Judy! I am trying to imagine what lemon and lavender would taste like together.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Rosemary and lemon are so good with chicken! I put these inside a chicken and roast it in the oven...oh my! Makes the whole house smell good! ♥

Marti said...

Love your little herb garden. I love to use fresh rosemary, and also the older stems as skewers for kabobs, gives them a great flavor. Love the picture of Tuppence with the stripes of sunshine. Have a good day.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Tuppence *is* adorable, and I really don't mind her getting a little air time, even though Lionel is *my* favorite cat!

Your story reminded me of the time my sister forgot to put the sugar in her pumpkin pies. My brother wasn't bothered. He just dumped sugar on top of the pies and forged ahead! (I'm not admitting to any cooking disasters of my own today!)

Sandy Ang said...

Tuppence looks just adorable, and helpful !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails