Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Zaph Doll, Who Shall Remain Nameless, Unless...

 The Little Zebra Girl

Last week, Diane from Lavender Dreams wrote a post about a few of the beautiful dolls she owns. When I went upstairs and saw the light shining through the blinds onto my Zaph doll, I decided to take a few pictures and share them with you.

This doll, whose name I don't know and whose original clothes I can't find, was purchased about 24 years ago at a little doll shop in Stillwater, MN. Her body is stuffed with wool, and the first thing you notice about her when you hold her, is that her body feels surprisingly lifelike (well, not including the head, arms, and legs.)

Some of the nice things about her are that she doesn't wet or cry real tears. (Remember when dolls were bought because they did those things?? )


 False Teeth
well bleached

One of the first unhappy incidents with this doll occurred when our [then] 3 year old broke out her front teeth. It wasn't anything malicious, it's just that they were there and he could. So what you see in the photo above are her 'false teeth,' which I made out of an old Clorox bottle and glued in place. My dentist couldn't have done better. lol

And by the way, there's something about this doll's eyes that seem to follow you around the room. I think that's why our daughter is so creeped out by her and won't have her in the room when she's here to visit. I think that's pretty funny.




Oddly enough, I've never named this doll. So if you have any good ideas, I'd like to hear them. Any name pop into your head?


***


Pumpkin Spice
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

25 comments:

Eileen H said...

Awww she is beautiful.
Her eyes are lovely.
Never heard of a doll with false teeth before, so funny!
You were way ahead of your time then as teeth bleaching kits are the in thing right now :-)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so excited to see your Zaph doll! She looks like a Zaph made by the artist Brigitte Leman. I have a few of her dolls and they have the sweetest faces. You did a great job on the little teeth...she's as good as new. She's a nice size to dress in real baby clothes, too. My favorite Leman doll is named LuLu! Thanks so much for posting the pics! Sweet hugs!

Ruth Kelly said...

The name Sweet Lily came to my mind and I have no idea why. It seems to me that she came out next to the time of the cabbage patch dolls. Am I correct? Anyway, she is so life like where those cabbage patch dolls were so ughly. My daughter was so besotted with the cabbage patch dolls that is what she wanted and got. I, however, would never have bought any.

Paulette said...

Arabella was the name that popped into my head as I was ready your post. Love the story about the dolls teeth.

MadSnapper said...

I love that first shot. wow wow wow. she is a beautiful doll, but the sunlight stripes makes it ART... her face is beautiful and I can not tell the teeth did not come with her.
I would call her Cassandra

podso said...

She's a cutie for sure. And you did such a nice job with the teeth. Maybe a dentist would hire you! And beautiful eyes. Maybe your grands can help name her!

TexWisGirl said...

the replacement teeth are great. :)

lemoineau said...

I think you should name her "Angela."

Susie said...

Judy, When my twins were young, I got them each a doll very similar to your dolly. One had dark hair, and one was blond, they looked like my twins. When my children were grown and gone...sometimes they would come by the house while I was at work. I would come home and find these babies on the sofa and it scare me to death...because I was not expecting to see them. So tell your daughter, I how she feels about that doll. xoxo,Susie

Angela said...

Haha Danika, very funny!

I vote for Creepy McCreeperson.

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,
It's been a while since I've visited you. I love your post about your Zaph doll! You did a great job on her teeth, you would never know...don't have any suggestions for name. I may share a doll I have as well sometime.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- She is just so sweet, Judy. My first thought was Cassie Rose....for some strange reason. You did a great job on her teeth! And, she will never have to pay for a bleaching treatment for her yellowed teeth! xo Diana

Chatty Crone said...

Okay I don't know what kind of doll she is, but she looks familiar. She is pretty. I like the name Cathy - she looks like my Chatty Cathy doll. sandie

Terri D said...

No names pop out, but she is a pretty little thing, and you caught that photo perfectly with that amazing light coming through the blind. Wow. Good job on the teeth, too.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Photos! I love how the light is shining on her through the shutters. She really is a cutie!

Carla from The River said...

I love her. :)
I would name her Alice.

Anonymous said...

She looks like "Molly" to me.

Unknown said...

What a great doll... love old dolls like that! Reminds me of one I had when I was kid.. her name was Ginny :)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Mona Lisa ! :)

Beautiful shots with the shadows and light! :)

Vee said...

I'd name her after your daughter just for fun! =D What is up with kids today? My niece freaks out over clowns and a certain teddy bear I know and love. Makes me laugh.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

She's so cute. Her teeth look perfect- you are good! I thought of the name Little Dawn when I looked at her. Perhaps it was the sunlight that made me think of that. I think her eyes are pretty.

Under Her Wings said...

Lilly Geneva! She's beautiful.

eileeninmd said...

What a lovely doll, almost lifelike! Have a happy day!

Denise said...

Sarabeth.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Pretty doll! From the photo, you repaired her teeth nicely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails