Saturday, April 5, 2014

What Do You Accomplish on Saturdays?


 July, 2013

We're still in snowbanks here, but I couldn't bear to post another winter photo. I was thinking about what I'm going to accomplish today. I'm not feeling very motivated, even though I know I should try to tidy up around here. Spring is such a dirty time of year, and with two dogs going in and out of the house, placing muddy little paw prints on the kitchen floor, it certainly takes away any desire to scrub the floor. It seems so pointless. Maybe I should just wait until summer.

When I was a kid, we always had to work around the house or garden until noon on Saturdays, providing we got our list of chores done by then. Mine usually involved dusting furniture and pulling weeds.


 Early Girl Tomatoes,
April of 2013

Last year at this time, I had tomatoes in pots, having survived their first transplant. Look how happy they looked. This year I've planted nothing indoors except for one epiphylum oxypetalum (sp?) leaf that Eric gave to me. At least it looks healthy.  I didn't want to start vegetables indoors and then be gone and unable to water them.


Elizabeth & Phillip


So my chores plans for today are to make another batch of Lemon Verbena soap, finish cleaning the schoolroom (which has been a disaster since at least December 31), and make up beds for the sweet family who are going to be staying here while we're gone to visit the Indiana grandkids (and their parents). That's the plan. I'm not making any guarantees.


What's on your agenda for today?


P.S. What's with the photo of Elizabeth and Phillip? When I did a search through my photo files for 'plants,' that came up. How odd is that!


Have a great Saturday, and don't work too hard!


***


Check out my handcrafted vegan soaps
Buy Any Five or More, Get One FREE

'Strawberry Mango'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at


P.S.  We'll be leaving for Indiana Wednesday morning, April 9, to see that new grandbaby and her older brother - and will be gone for a while. Soap orders placed by Monday the 7th will be shipped out before we leave. Orders received after Monday will not be shipped until we return. I will be putting my Etsy Shop and HomemadeSoapnSuch website on hold until then..  - Thanks!

18 comments:

Debbie said...

Good morning! Honestly for me I have to PUSH myself to do much of anything at all but play on Saturdays. Used to be "chore" day when I was growing up too, and even when we were raising our kids it tended to be that too. These days IF we are doing extra chores such as shampooing carpets, painting, or working outside in the shed or porch then we do it on Sat. But for the most part we relax now on Sat. We go out to lunch and/or the movies. We visit friends or go see some of our grandkids. We might shop for something fun. Today there is a birthday party for my just turning ten grandson. That will be a day of visiting, eating, and watching little ones enjoy themselves. Now don't get me wrong...there is PLENTY of things that NEED doing, and next Sat. will probably find us doing at least some of it...anyway, it'd better. Enjoy your week-end!

Susie said...

Saturdays use to be used for cleaning house when I was raising my girls. Now I clean on and off all week. So today maybe a small outing. :):) Didn't Elizabeth and Phillip look beautiful ? I know Ted will at least plant one tomato plant. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Amy Burzese said...

You had to ask, didn't you. It is subjective. My accomplished is different than other people's accomplished. That's my story. lol

Vee said...

Would you believe that I just signed up for FlyLady emails again? The first time, it worked like a charm, but that was ten years ago. Now I feel as if someone with a big stick needs to be prodding me along. Nothing gets done anymore! Oh sister, do I ever hear you about the floors. No dogs, just one husband with big old work boots slopping through the sand and snow banks. Saturday morning was always chore day when I was growing up and when I was raising children. We divided the chores up tidily and were all finished before noon. It was great. That's it! I need a work crew!

TexWisGirl said...

well, i have 4 big dogs coming and going and tromping in mud, pasture, pond... yeah, i don't bother with the floor. just sweeping and vacuuming.

MadSnapper said...

my chrome is acting up, IE is acting up, so why not the prince for a plant...LOL and this post will make you feel soooo much better about spring mud and dogs.
don't know how to add a link so copy and paste it please
you will not be sorry

http://gospelofgoose.blogspot.com/2014/04/funny-friday.html

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Judy. I've been on the computer all morning. But I did bake a cake although our bed hasn't been stripped and washed yet. Must get at that now. How strange to see the photo of Elizabeth and Phillip where you found it. Made me smile. Love your photos of spring and summer green. I can't wait either.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

OMG I just BUST out laughing. Reason is..I was doing some sewing prep work, then I vacuumed and while I did mop the kitchen floor, I decided not to deal with the muddy paw prints showing here and there in the dining room and living room because it just poured all day yesterday and it's a mess and they are just going to track more in. So I decided to put that off till tomorrow morning. And it is cold and dreary...so before I got back to doing anything 'productive' I thought to read a few blogs and yours was the perfect one for me today! :)

Kim said...

So far all I have accomplished today is going to the farmers market, buying (and eating) a blueberry cream puff, maple butter tart, and strawberry cream tart. Sad but true. Lol

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well I am a fan of Queen Elizabeth so seeing them brought a smile to my face. My husband does most of the outside work these days. I am going to finish up some housework that I started yesterday. Maybe see a movie this afternoon. Enjoy your weekend.

NanaDiana said...

LOL- Judy- Maybe that they were PLANTED IN PLACE in that picture? lol
I ran all morning trying to find a tennis skirt for the 12 year old...she HAS TO HAVE it for practice and pictures tomorrow. Helloooo? Mom????
I am kind of laying low other than that today-trying to catch up from the last few weeks of non-stop running- xo Diana

podso said...

This post reminded me that we had those Saturday morning chores too. Saturdays were not big deals, just hanging around home. You still have your school room, that's cool! Have a wonderful time later this week!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

My Saturdays consist of changing the bedding, dusting, vacuuming and washing the floors. One dog, but still many paw prints. :-)
I'm retired but we are on hydro usage plans and it would cost much more to wash during the week - so it's nights and Saturdays.
Enjoy the visit with your grands.

sweetbriardreams said...

For me I would love to get up late, have lunch and then sit and craft all afternoon - BUT, with working all week, I get up early on a Saturday and begin the onslaught of cleaning and tidying. The kids call Saturdays 'mum's moan' as all I do all day is moan at them for not tidying up! Sunday's however, that's a different story... 'mum's on strike' days!!

Terri D said...

Well, today is nearly over, and all we did was run errands and go to church. All necessary, and it was good to get some things accomplished. Laundry tomorrow.

Suzan said...

I try to get motivated on Saturdays, but if I start out drinking coffee in front of the computer --- well ---- it might be noon before I get out of my flannel gown!!

J_on_tour said...

Your royal photo is a "plant" !

Their son talks to his !

I did my first bit of gardening on saturday ... dandelion heads removal. I've been less motivated about the garden in the last couple of years for a variety of reasons ... only seem to have enough time for hedge work.

Denise said...

Not much on Saturdays.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails