Saturday, October 11, 2014

InSPIREd Sunday, Colfax, Wisconsin




 
Pictured is the ELCA (Lutheran) church in Colfax, Wisconsin, a bit south of where we live. It is a beautiful 30 minute drive through the rolling hills. Lots to see along the way, including beautiful barns, wooded hills, rivers, a mega dairy (not my favorite), and Highland cattle (my favorite!).

 How could I resist.






You might think I managed to miss the most important symbol, cutting this pic off just below the cross. Alas, it is a lightning rod, not a cross, on top of the spire, or in this case, the bell tower. Still, as you can see, there are crosses on the side of the church and on the front door.


I love the red doors, so symbolic, which at first made me think this was an Episcopal church - until I got closer and could read the sign.


Joining Beth and Sally

for






Philippians 3:7-14
Paul, writing to the believers at Philippi:

"But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ  and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.  I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Have a blessed Lord's Day,


Photobucket

25 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that's a very pretty church! nicely designed and maintained!

Glennis said...

Looks a nice Church to attend. I also like your highland cattle beast.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the church, especially the conical top. What denomination is it? What Is this creature? Do they roam around wild? In my head, I picture him trotting right into the church! And after all, he is all dressed up in his fine fur coat!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

That is a very pretty church and I love the shit of the Highland cattle.

eileeninmd said...

It is a beautiful church.. And I love the highland cattle. He/she is pretty. Have a happy day!

MadSnapper said...

so beautiful and all your photos today are inspired and inspiring. super shots, all of them and i love that cow

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, you are on a roll lately. i am so so happy you are with us. i love it!! what a beauty. i enjoy the open areas on the spire. such awesome details. ( :

enjoy your Columbus day.

Tom said...

Beautiful images of a beautiful church! Tom The Backroads Traveller

Arlene G said...

Very pretty! I took a test on Facebook about where I should live and I got Wisconsin!! I thought of you!! Not sure this southern girl could make it through winter there!!

http://thankfullga447 said...

Thank you for the beautiful photos. I love churches and I belong to ELCA here in Omaha. We have one church that is historical and will not be torn down. Thank goodness.

Ruth Kelly said...

Very nice but how did that cow get in there with all those photos of a lovely church?

Chatty Crone said...

I love Paul.

Love the churches.

The cow I am still thinking about.

Anonymous said...

A very lovely church with interesting architecture. Such a great looking Highland creature!

A Colorful World said...

Fantastic church! Love the architecture! You got some great photos of it and the cow. :-) Love seeing this wonderful church this Sunday morning!

Terri D said...

A lovely church, and a beautiful bovine specimen!! You do live in such a pretty area, Judy.

Judy S. said...

More great photos, Judy. You keep finding places in WI that I never heard of, even though I grew up there! A happy Sunday to you, too.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hey Judy,
Methodist churches have red doors, too. At least around here.

I thought, for just one wicked second, you were showing us a picture of "Pastor Highland!"

Empty Nester said...

I've always loved red doors on churches. When I was little, I saw a red door on a gray house and I was so shocked. I thought the only people who could have red doors were churches. And, ever since I made this discovery, I've wanted a red door. Maybe one day. :)

Bethany Carson said...

Beautiful church and verses! The photo of the Highland is awesome--definitely a good-looking critter!

Muffy's Marks said...

Beautiful church.

By the looks of the fur on the cow..........its gonna be a long cold winter.

Ida said...

I like this church a lot. The steeple/bell tower is really neat looking. I also like the doors.
Such cool looking cattle, never seen one like that.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

That's an interesting church - almost like a nice-looking house with a steeple bolted on. It works though. We passed a Highland Cattle Farm just yesterday - mighty beasts aren't they!? Thank you SO MUCH for your latest comment, by the way; your visits are very much appreciated and it's stuff like that which keeps us all going!

Donna said...

Highland cattle are soooooo adorable!

J_on_tour said...

Funny how we all get in the mood to look at a church building and you throw up highland cattle in the post. There are so many references I could make to that but hope it's a welcoming place :-)
The church is a grand building that looks modern and yet has a traditional style with the turret. I am reminded too in your post that it is a means to an end and best not to forget what these beautiful buildings are meant for.

Michelle said...

I like the church pictures.
But, my favorite is the picture of that Highland (Bull?). What a lot of fur.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails